




Andrew has finally reached the age of five which means he will start Kindergarten in September. I think ever since he turned four he has been wanting to be five to go to school. Five seems to be an age for kids to get excited about. It's when their world opens up from being at home and everywhere with mom, to being at school with classmates and a teacher. Thankfully for my sake he will only be in school two full days a week his first year. I don't think I could handle much more. You know everyone asks me if I'm excited to send him off to school and to have one less kid at home to entertain? Well I am excited and I'm not. For him I know he will love it, he loves learning, reading, writing, drawing and socializing but for me it's a huge step. He is only five but he is the oldest and he helps me the most. He entertains his brothers and keeps them occupied throughout the day. He is a great big brother always protecting, encouraging, sympathizing, loving his younger brothers. He doesn't run pass Isaac without acknowledging him with a hug or kiss or a few words, him and Sam are inseparable and with Luke...well he seems to bring on the least amount of tantrums/screeches from Luke which is a great thing. They work things out between the two of them.
Andrew is the most like Ken in nature. He is serious, athletic, quiet, shy, timid of things he is not comfortable with, has a natural ability to be liked by everyone and is very affectionate once he warms up to you. Often when people talk to him he zones out and won't make eye contact because of his shyness, but once he's comfortable he will sit in your lap and tell you and show you all kinds of things. He loves drawing pictures for people like our neighbors son who is five, his soccer coach, Sam's teacher and for Nana and Papa and Grandma and Grandpa.
He won't do anything until he is ready, whether it's writing his name, swimming, going for a ride on a dirt bike, skating etc. You cannot force Andrew. It takes a lot of encouraging and coaxing to get results but once he makes up his mind that he wants to he usually has a lot of fun.
Andrew is so enthusiastic about things. He reminds me of my mom that way. When he's excited
he can hardly keep himself from jumping up and down and he giggles and you can just tell he is super excited. This is awesome because he rubs off on those around him and makes them excited about things too. Sometimes I ask him what he would like to do for the day leaving it wide open and he will get a huge smile and say" I know Mom, we can play outside all day." It doesn't take a lot to impress him. We asked what he wanted for his birthday and at first he said a dirt bike, a real dirt bike. Well we got him a new much needed bike helmet and later he said "I'm sure glad I got a bike helmet instead of a dirt bike, it will help me bike faster."
Andrew is so enthusiastic about things. He reminds me of my mom that way. When he's excited
he can hardly keep himself from jumping up and down and he giggles and you can just tell he is super excited. This is awesome because he rubs off on those around him and makes them excited about things too. Sometimes I ask him what he would like to do for the day leaving it wide open and he will get a huge smile and say" I know Mom, we can play outside all day." It doesn't take a lot to impress him. We asked what he wanted for his birthday and at first he said a dirt bike, a real dirt bike. Well we got him a new much needed bike helmet and later he said "I'm sure glad I got a bike helmet instead of a dirt bike, it will help me bike faster."
He is very patient most of the time. On his birthday, which we celebrated in Edmonton, he waited the whole day while Ken worked before opening his presents, he only asked once about presents which is a rare thing for kids his age. Sam is already asking when his birthday is and it's not until November.
He is very creative and loves building Lego. He has numerous kits now thanks to his Daddy and he can make all of the trucks, loaders, airplanes etc all by himself by following the instruction manuals. He seriously does not need any help and finds the pieces and has things build long before me. He often will make stuff for Sam and Luke to play with too. I'm not into Lego, it takes too much time and patience, neither of which I have lots of so I leave the lego for the boys.
He also loves riding his bike and pretending it's a dirt bike. Sound effects, dirt bike gloves, wheelies, the whole works. He even builds jumps out of boards in the garage. This is all thanks to his big cousin Kevin who is his hero with guns, bikes etc.
For Andrew's birthday he got a new bike helmet, a watch and a new Lego set. We celebrated with cousins in Edmonton and then with cousins and aunties and uncles when we got back home.
We love you Andrew and we are so happy that the Lord has blessed all of us with you. You are such a ray of sunshine to those around you. Don't grow up too fast! We want to cherish each and every moment with you.
3 comments:
Shell, that's awesome. You have a fantastic little boy, and I can hear how proud of him and how much you love him in every word. He is such a likeable and loveable boy, even if he's a little shy at first. I could see how excited he is to go to school when we were there, and I understand your apprehension about him going. I'm already worrying about it and Samuel's just one and we don't have any others yet. Yikes.
Andrew is going to love this record and special words from you, and one day he and his wife will read it and be so thankful for the memories you saved.
Happy Birthday, Andrew! Nice helmet :) What a nice post to write for your son, S. I like how you said he reminds you of your mom - she would be so thrilled to have these grandsons, you know. One of the hardest things to do as a Mom is to let your kids go when it's time. Good thing God always goes with them. ((( HUGS )))
Post a Comment