Monday, July 6, 2009

Our Escape to the Mountains - Day 2 The Hike!



I'm sorry but for some reason my pictures never post in the order I want them to. When you scroll down to the picture of the mountain at the bottom you can see the mountain that my husband wanted us to hike up. The picture is taken off of the cabin's front deck. Everytime we've been there for the last few years Ken has talked about climbing that mountain, so we made an attempt.

This is pretty much what it looked like for the hour and a half that we tackled it. Our feet may have touched the forest floor for 5 steps the whole time. We had no idea there would be so much deadfall. These trees we are climbing on were probably 3- 5 feet above the ground which made balance crucial. Occassionally we would step on an old stump and our feet would sink as the stump broke apart.






We climbed over, under and around. Please note that I took this picture at eye level.


















I comforted myself throughout the hike that no bear would be crazy enough to try to tackle this. Why would they bother? Until.....Ken nicely pointed out a bear paw print. I know it's a bit hard to see but I can promise you that it was real and BIG! Later Ken informed me that he saw bear fur hanging off a tree we passed. Nice that he kept that quiet until we were back in the cabin.





After awhile we made a mutual decision to not bother anymore. We had no idea how far we had gotten or how much of the forest section was left.


At the rate we were going who knows how many hours it would take to get to the top. We had estimated 8 hours to get up and down but this was an estimate before we saw all of this deadfall in the woods. We thought we should be responsible parents and tackle this at another time.



So, I guess it will be another year of looking out the cabin window dreaming about hiking this mountain... stupid mountain.



2 comments:

Paul and Tracy Vander Heide said...

I think I would have been with you guys on that one. It did seem pretty branchy and all. Also looks like you two had a good time together. A little RNR is always good for the marriage. I read your blog and I have to chuckle about how often you have mentioned a bear. Ken is such a tease to you and I think I would have been the sme way, especially after seeing a paw print. Great pictures!
Love Tracy

Tyler and Melinda said...

Wow, you two are brave troopers but a little crazy as well. I probably would have quite long before then. How did your legs feel afterward? I actually would have turned around when I saw the paw print.