Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Our Escape- Day 3


On our third day we slept in and had a big breakfast. Did I mention that Ken did all of the cooking the whole time? He's the breakfast man and the BBQ man. After lunch we headed out, parked the van on the side of the road and started our bike ride. We biked 60km in total along the mountains. It was beautiful. There were a lot of hills. Thankfully for everyone we went up there was always one to go down.





This picture of us reminds me of a picture I have in an album of us when we biked the Cabot trail in N.S. We actually haven't changed our looks too much.









Just when we thought we didn't need to worry about bears anymore.....I spotted a grizzly and her baby cub in the ditch about 200-300 feet in front of us about to cross the road. Ken was ahead of me and hadn't even noticed until I quickly brought it to his attention. All I could think about was Ken's description of a worst case scenerio with bears. You get between a grizzly and her cub!!! Yikes.....the Mama heard me warn Ken and then she quickly scooted her baby back into the woods with her closely behind. We were going uphill when we spotted them, so we continued on as fast as our little legs would pedal!
















Ken's contribution to the holiday pictures. A beer between his feet. On our last night we had pizza and leftovers, and I had the best night's sleep yet. I think it had something to do with the fact that we were heading home alive to our children. The next morning we took the longer way home to drive through the triathlon course that Ken will do in a few weeks time. It was an awesome holiday!

3 comments:

Paul and Tracy Vander Heide said...

Wow, arent you 2 the most athletic couple ever. Also I didnt see a picture of Ken with the bikking shorts.lol:)

Crystal said...

A great adventure story to finish the vacation! I'm so glad you got to celebrate your anniversary on a getaway, just the 2 of you. Thanks for telling us all about it! What will the next 5 years bring?!?!

Crystal said...

Shel - Thankfully - no bears (or any signs of them) up at the Cardinal River where we were quadding. The area is about an hour north of Nordegg on the Forestry Trunk Road, and then west on the Grave Flats Road. We were camped along the river near the road and quadded up to Ruby Falls one day. You might be able to find it on a detailed AB map. Hope you are having a good day!