Friday, April 29, 2011

Just another Day at the park...












On Tuesdays and Thursdays when Andrew and Sam are at school I've been taking Luke and Isaac to the park. Sometimes I think about when I had only one boy, or only two, or only three, and my mind sometimes draws a blank. It was such a short period in between kids that I didn't have much time getting used to being a family of 3, 4, and 5. Now we are a family of six and this is the longest stretch since we've been married that I haven't been pregnant. Seems strange. But I am certainly feeling blessed and enjoying us being a family of 6.


The kids are changing so much everyday and growing and experiencing new things. It is definitely nice being mostly in control of their little world's. They need us for so much each day and sometimes I have to admit I get annoyed with this when I should be savouring it.


Today for example as I made 3 different kinds of sandwiches, poured three drinks, and listened to them argue over who got what cup, and listened to them challenge me on whether or not they had to finish their crust, then onto me cutting the seeds out of their grapes and slicing their apples, only to hear them complain that I didn't cut the peel off, to not wanting to eat baby carrots because...get this...they were too cold, to a scoop of icecream with banana on top and chocolate chips to arguing over who got what bowl again....do you sense my frustration? So I left in the middle of this and said you know what..."I don't care, I'm not arguing anymore....and you are making mommy very grumpy." I left them speechless in the kitchen to check on Isaac who at this point needed a bottle and had a poopy diaper.


Just another typical mealtime for me and yes I have brought a lot of it on myself. I recall having read somewhere that if you give kids too many choices this can happen. If I would just make their lunches and say eat what's on your plate this would not likely be occurring. So, like them learning and growing each day, I too am growing and learning as a mom. Okay enough with the self pity act. This was supposed to be a post about the park and how much fun we had.


The park has a paved trail that is 2.8km and loops around a man made lake(quite common out west here). So I've been pushing these two heavy boys in the bike cart for two loops. 62 pounds of boys. Great workout...then we stop at the playground for some fun. This particular day there was still a lot of snow on the ground but we were bound and determined to enjoy the sunshine so off we went. I really enjoy this time together. Otherwise I usually would do housework at home while Isaac napped and Luke played with cars, or I would talk on the phone, or check blogs, facebook etc. Much better use of time and all three of us are usually smiling the whole way home.


Sorry that I often post pictures of the same places and actvities but these are some of our favorite places and favorite things to do. Lunch time was frustrating but my wonderful husband came home and ordered me to have a nap which made mommy a lot less grumpy. It's amazing how a quick nap can change everything.









1 comment:

Crystal said...

Ah, yes - sleep is a great mood-improver :) I love hearing about your days. You are so active- reminds me of Mel! And we all live and learn from the way we do things. I hope spring is warm and beautiful in your part of the world this week.