Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cabin Fever

cab-in (kab'en)- 1 a small, often roughly built house; hut

This is the dictionary's definition and I guess to an extent, this is true of my in-laws cabin. It was built with the help of many hands and continues to develop character from the many people who use their gifts and talents to make it a special place. This cabin has become such a special place to us as a young family. It is a getaway from the everyday busyness, a getaway from the phone ringing, the tv, and the internet. Unfortunately, it is not a getaway from the telemarketers, they still manage to find you hidden between the snowcovered mountains. I think one day we got 5 calls from telemarketers.

Anyways, thankfully Ken's Mom and Dad are very generous and love to see their kids make use of the cabin. Sam said while we were there that it was his favorite place in the whole wide world.

The boys constantly ask when we can go there again and how many sleeps we can go for.


Ken and I, and our boys have the best of both worlds. Access to a cabin in the mountains and access when visiting NS to ocean front cottages at Nana and Papa's and at Nannies. I do wish we were closer to NS so we could spend more time at the cottage with our whole family making more favorite memories. Next summer...hopefully. Andrew will soon be turning 6 and hasn't been to NS since he was 2. I can't wait to get there to share the experience and to see their faces light up with excitement as they explore the ocean and beaches. Okay..okay..back to the mountains. On Spring break we went to the cabin for 4 nights and 5 days and had lots of fun. I snap pictures like crazy trying to capture it all. The fresh mountain air, the tasty mountain water and the smells of the trees make you feel so alive.


Huge piles of snow plowed up next to the cabin. One of our little mountain climbers is on top.


Going for a walk to the creek. We didn't get a picture on the famous log this time because it was buried in snow. Yikes, that's a lot of snow. The creek was buried as well so we didn't really see it or have a chance to throw rocks in it like we usually do.


I love this picture of little Luke with the huge mountains all around him.


We had an Easter egg hunt and a scavenger hunt.


Boys and their toys making noise.


I thought about putting Isaac in there as well but figured he might be in trouble with these three excited boys. Sorry mom, it's not bubble bath, it was from a little tiny bit of shampoo I used to wash their hair. It caused lots of bubbles and lots of laughter.



Isaac and I went for lots of walks.


Guilty and busted. We did watch a few movies, Peter Pan and the Black Cauldron, but that was it. Maybe 3 hours in total over 5 days.


We did some sledding on the 30 foot piles that they had plowed up. They were perfect hills for the kids to walk up with their sleds.


We built a snow fort.


and we roasted marshmallows.


Andrew made Isaac his first roasted marshmallow. Isaac was quite eager to try it out. After the fire I hurried the boys inside for a bath while Ken and Isaac hung out by the fire. I guess Isaac was jabbering quite loudly and it was echoing between the mountains. Hopefully it didn't cause any avalanches. It was a great time as usual and now we look forward to going back again in the summer for a few days. Ken's quite excited to buy some fishing gear this summer and to go fishing at the creek with the boys. Thank you so much Mom and Dad for allowing us to use your cabin. We agree with Sam, " the cabin is also one of our favorite places in the whole wide world."






























2 comments:

Paul and Tracy Vander Heide said...

Lucky for you that you have a little place to escape home from:) Looks like you had a really great time with Ken and the boys. Isnt it fun to just really enjoy eachother...Great posting....Keep it up.

The Vanleeuwen's said...

Shelly I just love checking out your blog you have a wonderful way with words, also you have a beautiful family and a wonderful place to make momories!