- driving 11 hours to get to where we were camping with three kids under 4
- fire ban the whole time we were there
- one sunny day out of 7 and 1 really wet and rainy day that it just poured
- a high of 20 for the best weather we had all week
- having Luke as a wake up call every morning at 6 - 6:30am
- lots of wasps
- a toddler that demanded LOTS of attention who isn't walking yet at 14 months
- driving 9 hours to get back home with 3 little boys under 4 and Luke slept half an hour the whole drive home (I even gave him gravol....twice!)
The good definitely outweighs the bad regarding our holiday. Some of the highlights were:
- the kids spending so much time with their cousins and us adults relaxing once the kiddies were in bed at night. We would sit around a propane BBQ and cook whatever we could find to snack on, sausages, dessert pie irons, etc.
- both Ken and I got to go water skiing in Dwayne and Trixie's boat
- Andrew now can ride his bike with no training wheels and Sam was actually riding his bike with no training wheels too. Anything to be like his big brother.
- good camping food for meals
- lots of walks with Luke in his stroller, mostly at 6am in the morning.
- Getting out of AB and seeing different landscape and the mountains and so many trees. It was so beautiful.
- a great chat with my niece Tara Lee about school, jobs and boys
- the lake. It was the cleanest lake I have swam in since moving out West. You didn't feel slimy when you got out of the water, you felt so clean.
- The waterfalls that you could hike to.
At times I thought I was so crazy for attempting to take this camping trip on especially because I didn't grow up camping but enjoying the luxuries of cottage life. I have to admit it was A LOT of work and demanded both Ken and I to be on our toes none stop. Everyone I talked to strangers or people I knew said" it is so great for the kids, they are creating memories that they will have forever and it develops so much character".... I have to admit that the character I was developing at times was not a character I strive to be! All in all we did have a great time and will likely tackle it again next year and with each day that passes and we are cozy in our home the trip seems like it was better and better.
5 comments:
I love reading your blog, Shelley. Even though I hear most of it verbatim from you it's still great!
You are awesome and amazing! It sounds like it was a great trip even with the rain, and I'm sure the boys will have lots of great memories from it. They are growing up so fast, Shell. You have three very cute, loveable ones.
Shelley camping is great for the kids, not always so for the moms I know, wait till the kids are older it really is more pleasant to go....even though you had a nice time it will be nicer when the kids are bigger. Sorry we nissed you when we came out, next time if Wally and I come out we'll have to have coffee at Tracy's, or nice bbq! Ang.
PS your blog is really cute!
You sure have a great way with words. It is a little hectic to camp with little kids, I think every Mom goes through those feelings. Love Tracy
well shelley if you were looking for a relaxing vacation for yourself then i don't think camping with such little ones is the answer. But ask the boys if they had a great vacation and look at the smiling faces (and bums) in the pictures and it's totally worth it don't you think? Eventually we can both be like Ang and be on our third novel on the third day of camping while all the kids just magically disappear :) And maybe, just maybe when we get home from vacation we can feel rested!
Post a Comment