Monday, May 4, 2015

Let It Go!

The frozen song "let it go" comes to my mind when I think about my day, more specifically my afternoon and suppertime.

Today our specialized services started. We hired a service provider to help us work with Isaac called "Innovative". We are about to see how innovative they are. I don't think they will disappoint, I hope I don't disappoint them.

They will be coming every Monday and Wednesday from 3:30-5:30pm to work with me, Isaac, the other kids and Ken. They are hired to support us and Isaac with Autism.

I was pretty nervous about this visit as it came closer, and constantly had to remind myself that they are here to help. Basically today was an observation day.

 Anyone that knows me well, knows that I am a bit of a Martha (like in the Bible), busy, busy with my tasks and trying to have everything just so. Some have labelled me as a perfectionist although I am very aware that I am far from perfect and never will be.

In order for Innovative to be able to help us I had to "let it go". So I did....let it go.

I didn't...
  • didn't clean my house
  • didn't bake
  • didn't clean my bathroom before they came
  • didn't plan out what would happen while they were here...like what snack to feed the kids etc.
  • didn't plan out what activities the kids would do when they got home from school
  • didn't even look in the mirror to make sure I looked presentable
  • didn't forewarn the kids on how to behave, that we would have guests after school
  • didn't prepare a super fancy meal to serve my family while they observed
I know, sounds ridiculous doesn't it but I always like to be prepared for everything.

Well we survived the visit, everything was quite typical for an after school/suppertime in the Leffers house. A few meltdowns, a few frustrated parents, lots of demands being put on mom and dad both, spoonfeeding 2 out of five children at supper, 3 kids wanting to play out front next to a busy street while two younger ones aimlessly want to be out front, then outback, then in the house, myself trying to set the table and get supper ready while numerous kids request my services..."mom", "mom", "mooommm". Kids forgetting what their memory work is for us to sing, and lots of interruptions during Bible reading.

It was all pretty typical but not so much fun in front of a silent audience. I'm sure their eyes were opened. Ken and I were kind of wondering what their conversation about us was like after they left.

Anyways I did "let it go". I'm not so sure which is more tiring...holding it all together or letting it go but I am wiped. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

No comments: