Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sensitive but Competitive!




So I am now a soccer mom! Andrew has started playing soccer this year for the Dolphins. I'm not sure who was more nervous and excited...him or me? It was so much fun taking him to his first game. I haven't laughed and cheered so hard in a while. Andrew was very nervous and shy when the coach talked to him. Thankfully his buddy Karl who's our neighbor was there for support. They didn't leave each other's sides the whole game.
This is the conversation after the game....
Andrew: Daddy, did we win?
Ken: no Andrew the other team got three goals.
Andrew: How many did we get?
Ken: none
Andrew: oh
10 minutes later when we entered the house Andrew burst into tears. When we asked him what was wrong....
Andrew: I wanted to win.
Me: Did you have fun?
Andrew: yes, but I wanted to win.
Me: Andrew, it was your first game, you are just learning, maybe you will win next time.
Andrew: I get to play again?
Me: yes, next week.
Andrew: how many days is it?
Me: not that many.
Andrew: that's way too far away....crying some more.
This went on for at least an hour.
Next morning....
(outside it was snowing)
Andrew: but I wanted to practice soccer today.
Me: we can practice again when it gets nice Andrew.
Andrew: But the other guys were just too fast, right?
Me: you are pretty fast too Andrew.
Andrew: but not as fast as the Sharks, they were mean.
Since then soccer has been cancelled again due to snow but Andrew is anxiously waiting for the next game. Hopefully he won't be as hard on himself next time. Maybe he has a little of his Mommy and Daddy's competitiveness in him??


3 comments:

Tyler and Melinda said...

Aw, what a cute and hilarious conversation! I'm sure all of your boys will have a little competitiveness in them and love playing sports. How excited to be a soccer mom and cheering from the sidelines.

Pete and Mel said...

Wow! You're right, Andrew is alot shorter!
Cute pics.

Paul and Tracy Vander Heide said...

I know how you feel as your oldest starts to go through all these firsts..Andrew is looking pretty sporty:)