Saturday, January 9, 2016

Isaac and Autism - Stuck on waterfalls

Our Isaac has an obsession with waterfalls. I can see why anyone would be attracted to them. They look pretty and the sounds can be entrancing. Waterfalls can be powerful and fast, or slow like a quiet trickle. He is drawn to all types. I'm not so sure if I can recall when this obsession began. Likely at the cabin. Even though our trips to the cabin are less frequent since we moved he remembers the waterfalls there and wants to check them out as soon as we are there.
 
This first picture is part of the canal that runs close to Ken's parents old house. We sometimes would go for walks to it or drive past it or have a quad ride to it when Ken's parents still lived on the farm. Thankfully Uncle Pete and Aunty Ang still live close to it so we visit it whenever we visit them. Isaac will frequently remind us if we forget. This past summer we camped in our trailer in Ang and Pete's yard and early one morning I drove Isaac and Emma with plastic bowls full of cheerios to the waterfall for breakfast so Ken could sleep in. What a treat!
  

He soon discovered these drains along the streets, around our neighborhood in Edmonton. We couldn't go for a family walk or bike ride without him checking everyone of them out. Sometimes he would disappear and I'd almost start to panic wondering where he was and sure enough he would be sitting by the drain close to our driveway. I knew he wouldn't leave that spot, but for people driving down the street they weren't so sure if this young lad would run out in front of them being so close to the road.
If there was no water running into them he would fill the watering can up with the hose and poor it on the street, and watch it trickle along the sidewalk until it dripped down the drain. I'm not so sure if it's the sound that fasicanates him or watching the water itself. I had to draw the line one day when I found he had dragged the hose to the drain and was spraying water down it just to see/hear the waterfall.


 
We convinced him to go on a decent hike this past summer. The reward would be a waterfall at the end. I went ahead of him excited to capture his reaction on video.  He would get the cutest smile on his face as it lit up.



This is the waterfall close to Ken's parents cabin that we check out each  time  we go there. One day I took my book along and we sat there for over an hour, me reading and him just watching the waterfall. 
This one is much bigger and pretty powerful sounding. Lundbreck Falls close to the cabin as well.

Anyways I wouldn't say his love for them is all that quirky, I can totally see the attraction. Since we know how happy they make Isaac we seek waterfalls out and will make the effort to stop and see any along our travels. My collection of pictures of waterfalls has been growing significantly too. Maybe next time you see a waterfall you might think of Isaac.

No comments: