Thursday, August 18, 2011

Embracing Camping.


  • I decided long before we started packing for Swan Lake that I was going to embrace camping and try my hardest to remain positive. I know how many great memories Ken has camping with friends and family over the years, and it seems to be "the thing to do" in our church community and in the area we live in. Do you recall our attempt 2 years ago in August, 2009 titled Survivor Shuswap on my blog? Well let's just say that most of what I remember of that whole experience was a very challenging time. Just a few reminders...I was pregnant with Isaac, Luke wasn't walking yet, it was terrible weather, there was a fire ban, it was a 12 hour drive that we attempted in one day with three young children, need I go on. It has taken a full two years to get over that experience for me. I don't consider myself to be a high maintenance kind of girl but camping is really roughing it. I'm a cottage kind of girl, that's how I grew up.

    Some of the things I have learned while camping are:

*how to shave my legs in a dishpan after boiling water to make it warmer


*how to wash my hair in the middle of a lake without my feet being able to touch the bottom


*how to live without power of any kind for a whole week - no toaster, no microwave, no hair dryer, no straightener, no music, no tv, no computer, no Internet, no phone, no washer


*how to meal plan so that all of your meals are cooked over the fire or on a little camp stove (our meals consisted of: pizza pie irons, premade spaghetti and meatballs, premade soup, smokies, steak/garlic bread/salad, chicken burgers)


*to allow the boys to pee outside almost anywhere that works


* how to wear the same dirty clothes over and over again


* how to trust in the Lord's protection over a roaming mountain lion spotted in the area


* how to give up on routine and a schedule and know that we will survive a week without it


These are just a few of the things I have learned while roughing it. Surprisingly it was a really relaxing holiday, better than I would've imagined. I actually read 2.5 books, had lots of quality time with the kids, and with the adults in the evenings. Slept decent every night thanks to the blow up queen size mattress we bought this year, sat in the sun hour after hour, after hour, swam, water skied, biked, lots of walking, lots of laughing, lots of talking. Great memories were made and I'm so glad I gave it another chance. Can't wait till next time.















No comments: