Thursday, February 5, 2009

What came out of the cow Andrew? poop.



Today we went on an adventure with Auntie Mel and cousin Simone to see a farming Expo set up specifically for kids to learn about farming. The kids had a blast. Some highlights were seeing a sheep (Ida) getting a haircut, seeing a cow getting milked, sitting in a tractor, patting a baby chick and patting the minature ponies.

When I later asked Andrew what came out of the cow? He answered "poop". I was waiting to hear milk but yes indeed, poop also did come out of the cow for all the kids to see. There was a loud chorus off Eeewwwww, gross all around us. Apparently this made more of an impact on Andrew then the whole milk thing.

The boys also got to visit lots of information booths where they got goodies like rulers, pencils, beef jerky, stickers, tattoo's etc. While Andrew was patting the baby chick a little boy came up to the man who owned them and asked" what do you have to do to get a prize?" meaning do you have any goodies at this booth. And...yes this man had goodies for the kids. Andrew and Sam both got a pencil with a plastic chicken on the end. They were thrilled with this. When we got home they played with there pencils for at least an hour. One had the Daddy chicken and one had the mommy chicken.

It was a great day. I reflected on my younger years when I used to milk cows. It feels like that was forever ago. I didn't think I would actually be introducing my kids to cows at a Agriculture Expo before the family farm but that's okay. We had lots of fun!





















































2 comments:

Tyler and Melinda said...

What a fun day! I love Andrew's response to your question. Did you laugh? It sounds like the boys loved it and are ready for a trip to the family farm. Do you wish you had an acreage or some land where you could keep animals for the boys to play with and to take care of? I think that a lot about us and where we'll end up living one day. I learned a lot growing up on the farm and even though I hated it at times I still want my kids to experience some of that life. Funny how your perspective changes as you get older. ;)

Crystal said...

Such a change from where you grew up to now for your kids, isn't it?! It's pretty amazing how quickly we can forget what farming is all about so I'm glad you took your boys to see everything. I love your updates :)) Happy Valentine's Day!